18 – 25 Year Olds

Is your child in 6th form, college, or preparing for work?

Preparing for adulthood

There's a whole section dedicated to preparing for adulthood on Haringey's Local Offer.

Preparing for Adulthood (14 - 25 years) | Haringey Council


Staying on at college

If your young person has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP), they may stay on at college post-19, to complete a course, move to a new level, or learn/consolidate more skills

Going to University

Many young people with SEND can go to university. If they have an EHCP, this will cease when the young person goes to university. This is because universities have their own accessibility departments which arrange support for young people.

It is very important to get in touch with the access department and make sure the university understands the young person’s needs. It is also important that the young person understands their right to support and the provision that is being made.

UCAS has a useful article on this - https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/individual-needs/disabled-students

Disability Rights UK has some information about funding higher education - https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/resources/funding-higher-education-disabled-students

Join Elevated Youth Haringey

A forum for young people with SEND. Learn more and find out how you can get involved here.

The Transitions to Adulthood (TTA) team at Markfield

The TTA offer volunteer mentoring to young people aged 16-25. They aim to:

  • Support young people with activities relating to their transition into adulthood
  • Help develop their confidence and independence
  • Provide support to help them achieve their goals

The meetings can take place either at the Markfield Project or out in the community to achieve goals or activities chosen by you.

Telephone: 0203667 5233 | 07542590698

Email: familyadmin@markfield.org.uk | rcourtney@markfield.org.uk

Social, Emotional, and Mental Health Support

Haringey have a list of mental health support for children and young people with SEND and their families: Social, emotional and mental health support | Haringey Council

Moving in to work

Supported internships

Supported internships are a mixture of education and work experience, designed for young people who have an EHCP.

They are intended as a bridge into working, to help young people develop workplace skills. Young people are not paid while on a supported internship.

More information about supported internships in Haringey is available here


Apprenticeships are paid opportunities for young people to learn a skill. They are a mixture of education and work experience. More information here

Support with finding work

  • AFK is a charity which has job coaches who can help young people with disabilities to get a job: Getting ready to work (afkcharity.org) They can start supporting young people while they are still at college. Your child does need to have an EHCP to receive this support.
  • National Autistic Society (NAS) has a dedicated employment page to support autistic job seekers looking for work: Employment (autism.org.uk). They have webinars, accessible job opportunities, e-learning modules, and guidance.

Support for young adults in the workplace

What happens to my child’s EHCP?

The EHCP does not automatically remain in place until the young person is 25 years old. If the young person is still in education, their EHCP should remain in place, and be reviewed every year to ensure they are still making progress towards their outcomes and get the right support.

If a young person starts work, goes to university, or transfers to social care provision e.g. a day centre, Haringey Council will contact you to arrange to “cease to maintain” (bring to an end) their EHCP.

Social Care

If your child is known to the Disabled Children’s Social Care Team, these services will stop once they are 18 years old. They may then become eligible for Adult Social Care services. The Adult Social Care team will carry out a screening and assessment to see if the young person remains eligible for support.


If your child has been receiving Disability Living Allowance (DLA), this stops when they are 16 years old. If your child meets the criteria, it will be replaced by Personal Independence Payments (PIP). You should be notified by the DLA in advance of this happening with advice on how to apply for PIP.


From the age of 14 children and young people with learning disabilities should be offered an Annual Health Check (AHC) by their GP, provided they are on the GP’s Learning Disability Register. If you think your young child should be on this register, ask your GP.

Mencap’s guide for young people about this is available here: AHC Easy Read Guide Final.pdf (mencap.org.uk)

If your child has ongoing health needs, they will move from children to adults' services when they are 18 years old.

Your health authority will carry out a Continuing Health Care (Adults) Assessment to establish if your child is eligible for ongoing health services.

Useful Links

SENDIASS - Markfield

Haringey’s SEND Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS) are based at the Markfield Centre. They can support you with independent advice about your rights and your young person’s rights in relation to education and preparing for adulthood.

Family Fund

A charity that provides funding for essential items for families affected by SEND.

National Organisations

Haven't found what you're looking for? Email us: hello@sendpowerinharingey.org

SEND Power in Haringey is hosted by The Bridge Renewal Trust, a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales under number 06949568 and registered as a Charity number 1131941. Registered office Laurels Healthy Living Centre, 256 St Ann's Road, London N15 5AZ