Cost of Living

We've collated some useful links about finances and housing. We hope they're helpful


A national charity that supports families with disabled children, has lots of useful advice on their website - Information & advice (

  • In May 2024 they ran a Q&A Facebook session on Universal Credit and Managed Migration. Click here to read the top five questions answered.

Haringey Here to Help

Haringey, Here to Help | Haringey Council

Haringey Support Fund 

The scheme gives one-off emergency payments for

a) help with your basic living needs: 

  • items for day to day living such as food and essential household items 
  • utilities including support with gas and electricity costs
  • help towards the purchase of clothing and footwear - for example, items destroyed by flood or fire that you cannot budget to replace
  • help with other basic living needs, where there is an urgent need 

b) support towards the purchase of essential household items: 

  • a fridge or washing machine  
  • bedding, mattresses and some types of furniture 
  • cooking equipment, or other essential kitchen items 

Haringey officers will consider all your circumstances including your household income, people living with you and all other help available to you (for example a Department for Work and Pensions budgeting loan). This is based on the funds available at the time you apply.

Carers First

Their Lighten the Load campaign aims to help unpaid carers maximise their income - Lighten the Load | Carers First

Connected Communities

They are here to help Haringey residents with issues such as housing, money, employment, and more - Connected Communities | Haringey Council

Contact your local councillor

Haringey has 55 councillors. Each councillor represents their ward and all of the people who live in it. They should be abridge between you the resident, the council and the wider community. If you have an issue, you can raise it with your local councillor. You can contact them via email and telephone, and they hold regular in-person surgeries.

Find out who your local councillor is on Haringey's website - Your Councillors | Haringey Council

Find your MP

Find out who your MP is and when they hold their surgeries on Haringey's website - Your MPs | Haringey Council

Money Helper

They offer links and advice on grants and benefits - subject to eligibility

Disability Grants

They offer a range of funding options for families. Here's their website:


Family Fund‍

They offer several different grants for families with children who have a disability/neurodivergent diagnosis. Here's their website:

Carers Allowance

You could get £76.75 a week if you care for someone at least 35 hours a week and they get certain benefits. You do not have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for. You do not get paid extra if you care for more than one person. If someone else also cares for the same person as you, only one of you can claim Carer’s Allowance.

More information here: Carer's Allowance: How it works - GOV.UK (

Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children

DLA for children may help with the extra costs of looking after a child who:

  • is under 16
  • has difficulties walking or needs much more looking after than a child of the same age who does not have a disability

They will need to meet all the eligibility requirements. The DLA rate is between £26.90 and £172.50 a week and depends on the level of help the child needs.

More information here: Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children: Overview - GOV.UK (

Organisations in Haringey who offer help with DLA and Personal Independence Payment (PIP) forms:

  • Markfield offers DLA and PIP appointments for people up to 25. Curently have a wait time of around 4 - 6 weeks. | 0208 800 4134
  • Citizens Advice Haringey - once you get through, you can book the parent/carer/individual appointment. Appointments and advice line: 0808 278 7966
  • Disability Action Haringey - parents and practitioners can call for advice about DLA and PIP. 0203 355 0071 (10am - 3pm) |
  • Haringey Law Centre states on their website that they can support with DLA/PIP issues and refusals. 0208 808 5354 (11am - 4.30pm) |

Housing advice and support

Shelter England

Shelter provides support services and advice to help people with housing issues and homelessness - Home - Shelter England

Engage Haringey

A floating housing support service for those living in Haringey and placed outside of Haringey in temporary accommodation - Engage Haringey - Riverside

Damp and Mould - how to report an issue in Haringey

If you're a Council/Social Housing Tenant, call the council team 020 8489 5611. Or email with your address and postcode, full name and phone number.

If you're a Private Tenant you can find information here , as well report an issue.

If you're living in Temporary Accommodation, email along with a copy of your tenancy agreement so a complaint can be raised with the relevant team.

SHINE London

The Seasonal Health Intervention Network (SHINE) is a one-stop referral service for residents across London who are struggling to pay their energy bills. They can assess residents for a range of services to improve health, finances, and energy efficiency.

Email or call 0300 555 0195

Disabled Facilities Grants

You could get a grant from your council if you’re disabled and need to make changes to your home. For example if you:

  • are physically disabled
  • have a Learning Disability
  • have age-related needs
  • are autistic
  • have a cognitive impairment, like dementia
  • have a progressive condition, like motor neurone disease
  • have a terminal illness
  • have a mental health condition

Haven't found what you're looking for? Email us:

SEND Power in Haringey is hosted by The Bridge Renewal Trust, a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales under number 06949568 and registered as a Charity number 1131941. Registered office Laurels Healthy Living Centre, 256 St Ann's Road, London N15 5AZ